Greek Yogurt Banana Split // Banana split allo yogurt greco

Monday, August 21, 2017


I don't think I need to tell you how much I love bananas. I love eating them like a monkey. I love making ice-cream with them. I love them as a sweetener in my desserts. And I obviously love them split.

And to be honest, banana splits were my favourite dessert as a kid. I loved all those delicious things my mother would put between those two slices of bananas, from the ice-cream to the chocolate topping to the sugar sprinkles.


But I'm not a kid anymore, I hate sugar sprinkles, store-bought toppings and I barely eat ice-cream anymore. And it's not because it's not healthy, but because I've become quite a foodie and finding a satisfying gelato is a real struggle for me now. I did find a place in Ancona though that has some damn good homemade gelato. The best I've ever had.


Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I had to come up with another version of this classic and I took advantage of it to make it healthier. So I swapped the ice-cream with Greek yogurt, I made a sugar-free blueberry jam and served my banana with some almond sliced and just a little grated dark chocolate. And believe me, it was divine!


Try it, if you don't believe me.

INGREDIENTS
1 serving
  • 1 ripe yet firm banana
  • 140 g (1/2 cup) Greek yogurt
  • 35 g (1/4 cup) blueberries
  • Sliced almonds
  • A piece of dark chocolate
  • A few drops of lemon juice

INSTRUCTIONS
  • In a small saucepan, add blueberries, 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of water and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the jam has thickened up. Let cool down completely.
  • Cut the banana in half lengthwise and set on a plate.
  • Scoop the yogurt on top of the banana. Use a spoon to drizzle the jam over the yogurt, and finish with some sliced almonds and some grated dark chocolate. 

Non credo ci sia bisogno di dirvi quanto amo le banane. Amo mangiarle come una scimmia. Amo farci il gelato. Amo utilizzarle come dolcificante nei miei dolci. E ovvimanete le amo divise.

E ad essere onesta, le banane split erano il mio dessert preferito da bambina. Amavo tutte quelle gustose cose che mia madre metteva tra quelle due fette di banana, dal gelato al topping al cioccolato agli zuccherini colorati.

Ma non sono più una bambina, odio gli zuccherini colorati, i toppings già pronti e ormai a malapena mangio il gelato. E non è perché non sono sani, ma perché sono diventata una specie di intenditrice e trovare un gelato soddisfacente è davvero difficile per me. Però ho trovato un posto in Ancona che fa del gelato artigianale davvero buono. Il migliore che abbia mai mangiato.

Comunque sia, quello che sto cercando di dire è che ho dovuto intentarmi un'altra ricetta per questo classico e ne ho apporfittato per farla più sana. Così ho sostituito il gelato con lo yogurt greco, ho fatto una specie di confettura di mirtilli senza zucchero e ho servito la mia banana con delle mandorle a filetti e giusto un po' di cioccolato fondente grattugiato. E credetemi, era divina!

Provatela se non mi credete.

INGREDIENTI
1 porzione
  • 1 banana matura ma soda
  • 140 g yogurt greco
  • 35 g mirtilli
  • Mandorle a filetti
  • Un pezzetto di cioccolato fondente
  • Alcune gocce di succo di limone

PROCEDIMENTO
  • In un pentolino, aggiungete mirtilli, 30 ml di acqua e succo di limone e portate a bollore. Riducete la fiamma e fate sobbollire per circa 5 minuti, finché la confettura non è si addensata. Lasciate raffreddare completamente.
  • Tagliate la banana a metà per il senso della lunghezza e mettetela in un piatto.
  • Mettete lo yogurt sopra la banana. Utilizzate un cucchiaio per aggiungere la confettura, e completate con delle mandorle a filetti e un po' di cioccolato fondente grattugiato. 

No comments:

Post a Comment