Turmeric Rice with Flavored Tofu and Vegetables || Riso alla Curcuma con Tofu Marinato e Verdure

Monday, May 02, 2016


I remember the first time I tried tofu. It was raw in a salad and I honestly struggled to finish it. It was bland and boring and I don't do bland and boring. But I also don't give up easily, so I put a lot of effort into bringing this remarkably nutritious ingredient to the next level. I stir-fried it. I roasted it. I even baked with it. And I eventually came to love it.

Today, in honor of Meat Free Monday, I present you this colourful dish loaded with flavour and veggies that even meat lovers will enjoy.

INGREDIENTS
1 serving
  • 100 g (3.5 oz) firm tofu
  • 30 g (1/8 cup) Basmati rice
  • ½ lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • ½ carrot
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 3 asparagus
  • 3 Marconi beans
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Combine the lemon juice, the soy sauce and some pepper in a bowl. Whisk together well.
  • Drain the tofu and pat dry with paper towels. Dice it and blot each cube with paper towels. Add to the bowl with the marinade, and gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  • Wash and clean the vegetables. Cut the carrot into sticks and cut the ends of the beans. Steam the carrot and beans for 10 minutes, and the asparagus for 6 minutes.
  • In a saucepan, warm a teaspoon of olive oil over medium-high heat, add the rice and toast until the rice smells fragrant. Add salt, turmeric powder and 60 ml (¼ cup) of water, and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. 
  • Meanwhile, heat a teaspoon of olive oil and sauté the vegetables for about 1 minute. Put aside. Using the same pan, cook the tofu until lightly colored on all sides.
  • Season the rice with the lemon zest, and serve with tofu and vegetables.

NOTES
  • If you have any problem finding Marconi beans, you can substitute them with green beans, or snow peas.

If you try this recipe, please let me know in the comments below how it turns out for you. Or post a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #InglouriousBananas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment